November 28th, 2016 by biscuit
Crockett is still in New York. While we were there over the holiday (oh you didn’t know? That’s cause I wrote and scheduled last Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday’s posts ahead of time because I knew I’d be traveling for 21 out of those 72 hours, cause I a smarty.) two of our nieces got very sick. Like, very physically stomach-wise unwell in the middle of the night sick. One recovered by morning and was down for toast and eggs, but the other was down with … something? Something bad and fevery.
So this afternoon I”m talking to Crockett, and he’s telling me he doesn’t feel super.
And now I don’t feel super.
I knew I didn’t feel good before, but I thought it was from eating stuffing and turkey and no vegetables that weren’t sautéed in some kind of animal fat for a week. Oh, and pie. I ate a lot of pie.
One time I ate yogurt! With cranberry sauce stirred in.
The yogurt was not enough, obviously.
Now I’m confused. Do I not feel super for the reasons I thought, or do we both not feel super because we’re sick? Or is he sick and I’m just holiday’d out? Are neither of us sick and I’m just a hypochondriac? Is it Zika?
So many choices.
Two more days. After this. 30 days in a row is a lot of days to write down things you think, you guys.
November 27th, 2016 by biscuit
(When did the movies on Hulu get better than the movies on Netflix?)
We open with Jesse Eisenberg (Mike) and Kristen Stewart (Phoebe) being dirty in love stoners.
- Mike is going to propose! Except he’s going to do it in Hawaii and he bought the ticket but they can’t go because he has panic attacks about flying and that’s apparently something they both knew! And yet they thought he could mind-over-matter it, I guess!
- Then he thought maybe he’d propose at home, but he almost set the kitchen on fire! This movie is not going super for Mikey so far. Although he does have a fun gorilla astronaut comic book.
- WAIT HE’S BEING TARGETED FROM SPACE. By the CIA. While he smokes up in a convenience store parking lot.
- Hi Connie Britton. I’ve missed your lovely face and also hair and also energy.
- Phoebe is really really sweet to Mike. She loves him a lot. And they have eyeballs tattooed on their feet, for some reason. I don’t know if this is going to work out for these two crazy kids, Connie Britton got a weird high security phonecall about ‘operation toughguy’ and now she’s stalking the halls of the CIA looking like bad things are happening. Oh, wait! Now she’s yelling at Eric Foreman! (It’s fun when I use actor names, character names, and names of other roles actor’s have had with no logic at all, right?)
- Oh! They’re going to kill Mikey because he was going to go to Hawaii and he’s an asset of some failed project and he’s not supposed to leave town, apparently.
This is better than I anticipated. I never knew I wanted to see Eric Foreman call Connie Britton a snipey, overbearing bitch and see her ‘as if you even matter’ face.
- John Leguizamo! And illegal fireworks? How have I never heard of this movie?? Have you guys heard of this movie?
- I was going to say what kind of code phrase is Chariot Progressive, but I guess no one would say it accidentally, so perhaps it’s the good kind? Mandelbrot set is in motion, tho – that’s something I could hear in the real world. Good thing I’m no spy waiting to be activated.
- DIRTY JESSE MIKE WHOEVER as freaking Jason Bourne! His training kicked in but has now deserted him and he’s more together than I expected for someone who just killed someone with a ramen spoon. (Although he is trying to hide behind a very narrow pole like a cartoon character so maybe not handling so well.)
- Oh man. Mike is in jail (because he killed someone with a spoon in a parking lot and tried to hide behind a pole and that shit leads to jail) and Eric Foreman is sending The Crane and The Laugher after him.
- Something is up with Phoebe. For sure. She’s either his keeper or another sleeper or ….dunno. Something.
Ok, I was actually drinking La Croix (which isn’t really in the spirit of drink and watch) but I’ve upgraded to gin and soda. This movie deserves the full d’n’w experience.
- Catch and return grenade. Baller move, Mike. The Crane (female assassin who threw the grenade) is handcuffed to a chair by her ankle. Ankle cuffed? Ankle handcuffed. The chair is like a cafeteria chair and she’s just carrying it around with her so … not the most successful restraint attempt I’ve ever seen.
- Ooooo his panic attack thing is about leaving town at all, not flying. (I don’t know where they are also. The PNW maybe? There’s a lot of flannel.)(Oh hey the internet knew, it’s Limon West Virginia.)
- Connie Britton is calling on the only person who will help her … drumrollllll … Buster Bluth! Literally no one in this movie isn’t famous.
- MIKE THINKS HE’S A ROBOT. This is wonderful.
- John Leguizamo thinks Mike has a monkey virus. From 28 Days Later, maybe? I don’t know, I clicked over to a Cyber Monday sale page and may have missed something.
- Oh, ok. The CIA is spreading disinformation that Mike and Connie Britton have a monkey virus that’s super contagious and everyone should call when they see them. Sneaky mofos, the CIA.
- Crane and The Laugher were mental patients that Eric Foreman retrained as assassins. Rude or excellent distributions of resources? Connie Britton thinks the former. #imwithher (sniff)
- Oh man, there goes John Leguizamo. Probably shouldn’t have been harboring Mike, monkey virus or no monkey virus. Sorry, buddy.
- Riofloxin? I just googled riofloxin gas and then immediately regretted it (Trump’s America, guys), but it’s a made up gas just for this movie. Is that a normal thing?
- Mike just remembered Phoebe interviewing him, therapist style! I love it when I’m right as shit, man.
- “I’m your handler. I was assigned to you five years ago. But of course I’m your girlfriend.” I wouldn’t buy it either, Mikey.
- Nothing like a little attempted vehicular manslaughter to really bring a fighting couple together.
- Wait, if she was his handler, why did she let him schedule the trip to Hawaii in the first place? Didn’t she know that would trigger the kill order? Well, The Laugher is abducting her while Mike is stuck in the crushed car so serves her right, I guess.
- Connie Britton saved Mike and asked if he knew who she was. “Are you my mother?” Bahahaha.
- “If I die, I’m going to do it stoned and happy in my bed.” Mike’s not handing this well, but Connie Britton patrolling his house with an automatic weapon while he smokes up is an excellent visual.
- Aiming a bullet ricochet off a flying frying pan? No.
- Buster Bluth coming through in the clinch? YES.
- BILL PULLMAN. Looking so very presidental but I’m guessing he’s a last ditch assassin? Or maybe Buster Bluth called him and he’s going to kick Eric Foreman’s ass? He’s striding purposefully towards an airplane in a suit, which I always enjoy.
- Apparently Eric Foreman had a whole truck full of assassins. Like, a big truck. And while he was telling them to ALL get Mike and to be careful because Mike is silent on little cat feet, Mike comes out of nowhere shooting fireworks! Of course! Chekov’s fireworks!
- Shootout in the warehouse store, and Mike is just walking through gunsmoke killing people with a sledgehammer to the temple. Whatever training program Connie Britton put him through, it’s clearly much superior to Eric Foreman’s stable of psychos.
- This just got very violent. Like, it was violent before but …
- Connie!! Saving Phoebe with a timely strangulation!
- Huh. So everyone bad is dead, Bill Pullman appeared and shut down Eric Foreman, and Mike is proposing to Phoebe in front of all of the cops with guns in the parking lot of the shootout. It’s weird but kind of adorable.
- And then they got tased.
And now he’s a spy and it’s his gorilla astronaut cartoon.
So, I checked and the reason I never heard of this movie is because it didn’t do very well, but guys? Even though I just spoiled the shit out of it?
You should watch it. It’s fun.
November 26th, 2016 by biscuit
I had so many things to say.
My friend Megan and I watched the new episodes of Gilmore Girls today, and I thought I had a lot to write about love and family and work and then we hit the last ep.
Guys, I’m not kidding, spoilers in spades.
“Mom, I’m pregnant.” Look, if you don’t watch I can’t give you enough background to make the full weight of that felt. If you do watch, you are fully, 100% in the what the fuck camp right now, right?
Thing 1: there are no more Gilmore Girls. We will never know, is it Logan’s or was there a Jess intermission (<- Emma’s wishful thinking).
Thing 2: WHAT HAPPENS. Is this the end of Rory’s desire to be a journalist? Are we supposed to assume that the book is a success? Guys, I have books that people can buy. I mean, they’re not on …. well, any lists … but still. That one memoir? From someone no one has ever heard of? She’s not making a living off that, especially if she has a baby and can’t write a follow up. Plus, think of the secrets she’s going to inadvertently reveal to Luke when he eventually reads it because he’s so proud.
Anyway. We accidentally drank two bottles of wine while watching so … more mañana.
November 25th, 2016 by biscuit
Let’s jump right in. Last time on inside Goop, we (me, I) provided useless commentary on many of GPal’s suggestions … here’s the rest! (Should we talk about how inside Goop has been dead since nablopomo ’10? no? good, cause I’m Frankensteining that shit.)(Also, why did I commit to such a long post on a day no one is anywhere near the internet? For the archive readers, I guess? Because I’m an idiot? Who can say for sure.)
Gift Guide For Lovers:
The Host Gift Guide
- I don’t necessarily object to a mixed oils kit. I love a good self care system as much as the next girl. What I’m not crazy about is the caption: For the inevitable, holidays-induced anxiety attack. Say what now? Is it just me, or does shit like that reinforce stress for people who have it and create a weird expectation for people who otherwise wouldn’t have it? NO, it’s not just me. Knock it off, guys. Let stress appear organically, ok?
- Is this a city thing? A leather strapped merino sweater to keep your double wine cool on the subway? Because out here in the wild west, we put our wine on the floor of our car when we drive to parties, just like everyone else.
- Four ceramic ice cream cones for $100? I’m so damn torn. Hand one: ridiculous. Hand two: if someone would just buy me the $400 ice cream maker I’ve been eyeballing since PASTRY SCHOOL (honestly I would not make very much ice cream, it’s the right call that no one has purchased this for me) then this would be the perfect way to serve said ice cream.
The Personalized Gift Guide (I’m sure I’ve mentioned this before, but nothing had the name Emma on it when I was a kid. People frequently thought my name was short for Emily. Therefore, this is kind of my sweet spot.)
- Custom dyed bedding is NOT my sweet spot. I can only imagine if someone bought this for me and Crockett, and literally offered the entire Pantone color wheel to choose from. We’d never get sheets. Ever. These $500 sheets are for the decisive. And possibly the single.
- As a person who wore a signet-ish ring as an engagement ring for a year recently, I recommend against. They’re lovely but man alive are they not as comfy as normal rings. Thumbs down. Also, psa: I’m 99% sure you cannot wear a signet ON your thumb.
- These shoes claim you can put a custom image on them, but based on the pictures, they’re actually the shoe version of a high school ring. In that as long as your custom image is selectable from a clip art list, you’re good to go. If they’re actually custom, why are we only seeing a smily face, stethoscope, and kiss lips? And if they ARE from clip art, how do they take FOUR MONTHS? These shoes are confusing.
The Thinker Gift Guide (this is insulting to anyone who wants to shop from the other guides, right? “Smarty guide and the rest of you”?)
- Writing utensils! Smart people put words down into a way other people can read them, it’s a truthy truth from GPal’s fingers to your eyeballs. (She 100% did not write that, also. What I said OR whatever the goop site says about the pencils.) Also, it’s an $85 brass ball point pen and the like, if you’re getting link fatigue. I am.
- Very heavy paper weights for your very heavy thoughts that you put in paper form!
- A drawing kit made of nothing but black, like … your soul? Your feelings? Are colored pencils only for the simple, GPal? Smart people can get their point across without all that nuance?
- A pot box. That’s fun.
The one we’ve allllll been waiting for …. The Ridiculous but Awesome Gift Guide
- Dennis Hopper’s record collection. DENNIS HOPPER’S RECORD COLLECTION. It’s $150,000, it’s 110 records, you don’t get to know what most of them are, they’re all ‘as is’, and Dennis Hopper was the bad guy in Speed. No part of this makes sense. (Plus, there’s only one and it’s still available. I’m would have thought some overly committed overly moneyed GPal enthusiast would have snapped it up by now?)
- “Our [$2995 leather wrapped] Bicycle is great for cycling enthusiasts, either as fashionable transportation or as a sculptural decor element.” Crockett says: the snozzberries taste like snozzberries! Also, there’s no further info about the bike. Like, what’s the frame under the leather? Steel? Aluminum? And old bike this company stole from outside their neighborhood coffee shop?
- Yeah, we’re into this weird briefcase lap desk thing. Probably because one of the pictures looks like it could have been taken at Sparrows Lodge, the place we minimooned. I bet if GPal knew about it she’d write about it and we’d have to pay a million dollars to go back, so no one tell her.
There you go. I hope Gwennie and I just made your Christmas easier.
November 24th, 2016 by biscuit
If I’m not stuck in the Baltimore airport, I’m in Buffalo enjoying mince pies and pinot noir with Crockett’s and his family (married people do that you know).
Hope whatever you’re doing, it’s just as great.
Love all y’all!